- Arctic Online: Website design, development and promotion
- Application development and publishing of several Internet based and traditional offline software projects
- Providing consulting services for individuals helping them with moving to Open and Free software solutions
- Providing consulting for companies and individuals on how to make use of various Internet technologies and services
- 2007-2011, July: SurveyShack.com (UK) – Community Manager for online consumer research community and Product Manager, Online consumer research panel
- 2010, January-April: SurveyShack.com (UK) – Interim Online Marketing Manager
- 2009, April – July: Private – Mackerel fisherman (Cornwall)
- 2005-2007, August: SurveyShack.com (UK) – Product Manager / Delivery Manager, Managed Services
- 1999-2005: Arctic Online (South Africa) – Boss man and owner
- 1996-1997: Hilltop Pineries (South Africa) – Farm Manager
- 1994-2000: Worked within the hospitality industry on and off while travelling and starting my business, Arctic Online
I fulfilled four primary roles in my last position at SurveyShack, 2009 – 2011:
- Panel Product Manager
- Community Manager for our online consumer research panel
- Panel Sales Support Manager
- Panel Delivery Manager
Panel Product Manager
- Develop and grow Panel product offering
- Support Sales and Marketing Teams
- Process development and implementation across all aspects of the product
- Grow and maintain the research community
- While managing:
- Public interaction
- Delivering and maintaining the platform to facilitate the above
- Primarily the website, panel hosting and related technologies, but many additional tools and relationships too
- High level technical support
Panel Sales Support Manager
- Develop and maintain relationships with strategic Partners
- Provide guidance and advice to Sales Team
- Provide sample pricing to Sales Team
Panel Delivery Manager
- Project manage and deliver all Panel related Managed Service jobsfor Response Panel
- Delivery aspects, tweaking of survey, analysing of results for fraudulent and/or suspicious feedback basic reporting etc.
- Ongoing client support and training – E.g how to use tools and data provided
- Review and selection of various online technologies to be used for the company website and related products
- Content management systems for the corporate website
- Support ticket systems for client support tracking
- Defining, reviewing and implementing processes throughout the business
- Work flow for “Managed Service” offering, where we do the work for the client
- General delivery processes and technology implementations, e.g. file server and correct storage and backups of project files
- Defining support processes and implementing required technologies, e.g. ticketing system for support enquires
2009 offered a very unique opportunity, to become a mackerel fisherman for a season in Cornwall. Mackerel is caught by hand line off small boats called punts and I skippered one for the season.
There are very few handline fishermen left in Cornwall, and to have had the opportunity to fish commercially for mackerel and take part in one of the oldest traditions of this area was a wonderful and truly unique experience.
Arctic Online, 1999-2005, provided design, development and hosting for websites and online applications.
I sold Arctic Online’s existing clients and service portfolio in 2005 to a competitor before moving to the UK.
I retained the ownership to the brand, so to service my new clients I re-launched Arctic Online focusing on website design for clients I consult to and to bring in new business.
I worked for my parents farming pineapples in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. This also included six months living in Queensland, Australia in a knowledge exchange scheme with the Australian farmers.